Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Super Yummy and Super Healthy Granola

Hello blogging world again.  It's been a few years and while I am certainly busier than ever I find myself missing blogging and thinking about it frequently.  So Let give this a go again and to start off I am going to share one of my families favorite things.
           Homemade granola. It is packed full of yummy healthy ingredients and has no processed sugars in it.  We love it! Our favorite thing to do with it is add it to yogurt and fresh fruit.  You could certainly add some dried fruit and eat it as is or with some milk.  Dip french toast in it before you cook it (seriously if you have never tried granola on french toast you're missing out.)  And I love that this recipe is flexible to meet your families needs.
  Now quickly before I give you this AMAZING recipe let me update you on my family.  Last I talked to you I had just had my 4th baby and first baby boy.  That little boy is now 3 years old and has a little brother.  Yep 5 kids. This is us last year.  Super blessed.

Now for the good stuff.   
SUPER YUMMY HEALTHY GRANOLA

preheat oven to 325 and line two large pans with parchment paper

8 c rolled oats
1 1/2 c wheat germ
1 1/2 c oat bran
1 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c flax seed
3 c chopped nuts ( I do 1 c pecan, 1 c cashew and 1 c almond)
Mix all the above together in a large bowl
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c maple syrup (the real stuff)
1 c honey
1 c coconut oil
1 Tblsp cinnamon
mix above in sauce pan. Bring to boil over med heat stirring frequently.  Take off heat and add 1 Tblsp vanilla.  Pour over dry and mix well.
Pour into prepared pans and bake for about 20 min (my oven cooks fast and it's closer to 17-18 min)
Stir about half way through..
After it's cooled you can add dry fruit if desired. Store in airtight container and enjoy.  

There you go I hope your family loves it as much as my family does.  If your family is gluten free I am sure you could do 3 c of oat bran instead of the wheat germ or  substitute ground flax seed and just leave out the 1/2 whole flax seed.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Yay! Cute family! We love homemade granola too! I'll have to try yours. YUM!

Kristin said...

Oh wow. You are back. I love when bloggers who fell off the planet start blogging again. I thought for sure the candy store on Main was you until I found out it was a candy store. Welcome back.